The Simonds Lions Club is part of the International Association of Lions Clubs and from its motto "WE SERVE", grew the concept of designing a complete life-care centre for senior citizens in East Saint John. The idea of constructing a senior-citizen home was presented to the Simonds Lions Club by two members of the Club, Ron Patterson and Ralph Corbett, in 1970.
From this proposal, five members of the Club, Ron Patterson, Charlie Short, Jim Crisp, Garfield Lucas and Jim McCarron, were appointed to study the needs in the community and recommend a proposal. Loch Lomond Villa was incorporated on September 27, 1971. After three and a half years of planning and two years after the actual sod turning, the complex was officially opened in October 1973.
The name Loch Lomond Villa was chosen because of the proximity of the Loch Lomond Lakes. Financial support, advice and guidance came from provincial and federal levels of government.
Founding members of Loch Lomond Villa, Inc.
- Ronald Patterson
- James Crisp
- Robert Kirkpatrick
- James McCarron
- Charles Short
- Garfield Lucas
Our milestones include
- 1973 - Officially opened in October, consisting of 110 self-contained apartments (High Rise I), 55 studio accommodations and 131 nursing-care beds
- 1975 - Added High Rise II in October, consisting of 136 apartments
- 1978 – Studio accommodations converted to nursing-care beds, bringing total number of beds to 175
- 1983 – Seniors Outreach Program established
- 1986 – Addition of a chapel, multi-purpose room and cafeteria
- 1993 – High Rise III opened, with an additional 28 self-contained apartments
- 1993 – Development and implementation of a specialized Alzheimers Unit in nursing care (34 beds)
- 1994 – Renovation of nursing care to include a Psychogeriatric Unit
- 1997 – Renovations to each nursing unit to include resident unit dining rooms
- 2005 – Conversion of Laundry Department to natural gas
- 2006-2011 – Continued renovations and upgrades to High Rise I and High Rise II, which included the implementation of a 16-unit Supportive Housing Program in High Rise I
- 2010 – Became Planetree Continuing Care Affiliate (only Canadian location other than in Quebec)
- 2010 – Construction began on a new 100-bed nursing home at 164 Loch Lomond Road to replace 100 beds in the current aging structure.
- 2012 - "The Village" a new 100 bed state-of-the-art nursing home opened in December directly across the street from the Villa on the site of the old Bayview School.
- 2013 - Renovations began on the central core of the main Villa with the demolition of four wings of the original building.
- 2014 - A new three story, 90 bed state-of-the-art nursing home opened in November which replaced the old building.
- 2015 - The grand re-opening of the newly constructed and renovated Loch Lomond Villa was held on September 14th in the Central Lounge.